Saturday, November 13, 2010

A little less than good

I finding the day to day to be a stuggle.  Every now and then I get REALLY resentful that I'm not the kind of person that can eat whatever I want to and never gain a lb.  I've always been this way and rebelled against it my whole like which is why I was over 200 lbs.  I lived my life like I could eat whatever, whenever and just enjoy it and move on.  But my weigh always reflected the rebellion.  I can diet with the best of them and lose weight like a champ but this is not how I was to live my life.  Thin - yes, having everything I put in my mouth taste a little worse than it could taste - no.  If only I could put butter on it, or sour cream, or regular cheese, regular mayo, regular bread, regular pasta.  Everything in my life has to be a little less than good all the time and I am soo completely resentful of this.  I am finding myself rebelling again and the weight is starting to come back on.  Very slowly....  slowly enough that I can convince myself I've still got it under control but I'm not sure I do anymore. I am lossing the grip.  I can feel it. 
I am still running which I guess is my saving grace, I still love it and probably always will but I will not use the excuse that its all I need to do, I know clearly its not.   I am still making good decisions for most of the day.  Mornings always start out good, lunch time is not bad, even mid afternoon is good most days but by the end of the day I have this feeling of stuffing...  Stuffing things into my mouth, down my throat, into my chest... for some reason even bigger bites feel most satifying than small ones, eating faster feels better than taking my time.  WHAT DOES THIS ALL MEAN???  I never used to think that food was related to feelings, or linked to something that happened to me in my past but I've also spent many years trying to figure out what it could be, if it was something like that.  I've never never never come up with an answer.  I always think that I've had a good life... but its something I think about every day.  I even went a few days without weighing myself because I realize that my whole day depends on what that number says.  What kind of a life is that???  So I decided to have a couple days where I just enjoyed how I felt and didn't base it on anything else.... but I guess in the back of my mind I knew it was because I had eaten like crap and couldn't bare it.
I've tried to identify my feelings in moments of overcoming urges to stuff my face and I always come up short...  its like the urges to eat are so loud it drowns everything else out.  Also, I will tell you, its not just the urge to eat, its also alcohol my body screams for. 

Last night after work I drove to the grocery store, got a box of wings & a salad for supper, went next door to the liquor store and got a 6 pack of beer.  Came home and ran 30 mins on the treadmill.  I forced myself to do this so I would feel less guilty for drink the beer and eating the wings, which I have to say was really tough because I felt in a total fog because my mind needed something stuffed down really bad.  After that I ate supper and had 2 beers.  Only 2... I didn't want anything else after that.  So what does that mean? Sometimes it only takes a glass of wine or a few beers and I'm back to good...  I guess thats why I've always been able to justify it because I never need to get 'drunk' or I don't find myself sitting on the floor in a pile of cupcakes but its a problem none the less. I've definitely got issues, I don't know where they come from and I don't know how to make them stop.  I know it never gets any easier, thats an understatement if I ever heard one...  I feel like I'm being tortured every day..... while I know its all in my head, I don't know how to make it stop.
I definitly felt good to write it out, thats for sure!!!  Oh and I did I mention I did all this last night with my weigh in being in 20 mins!  Ugh..  I'm up, its no surprise.

4 comments:

Absolutely, Positively Josie said...

hey! i miss reading your blog, and i'm glad you wrote this. i feel like i understand where you're coming from because i struggle daily with similar issues. but then i look at the pic on your sidebar, and i see that you have accomplished great weight loss progress, and no matter what kind of statements are made in your head, you can overcome them! i love your awareness. i'm praying for you, dear!

Genie @ Diet of 51 said...

Hi Keri,

Even though I should MMOB, I have thought about you with concern because you made three big changes in your life in a relatively short time: the move, the weight loss, and the new job. Those are all big adjustments! If you had not previously thought that your eating was related to emotions...

Although it's hard to lose the weight, it's a lot harder to keep it off. There's no glory in it, just many day-to-day "sacrifices" for the cause. Many butterless, no-mayo, no special sauce days....

In my pre-parent years, I turned to the alcohol, too. Without being preachy, let me say that it's something I don't miss. If I could get back the time that I spent being obsessed with food and drink, it would be an amazing gift.

That's all I'm going to say about that. You have so much going for you!!! Always remember and honor yourself for the person that you are and go forward!

HUGS!

Dizzy Girl said...

Hi babe. Sorry it took me so long to come respond.

The other day my roomie came in my room and we started talking because she was freaking out that the scale went up about 5 lbs. She said she couldn't stop eating; I asked her why she had anxiety. Every time I read these types of posts, I think of Deb- analyzing her binges and coming up with a reason she's doing it.

What's causing your anxiety? Do you know?

As painful as it could be- I suggest you start analyzing and figuring out why you are stuffing. I am in the middle of a stuffing phase myself- I've gained 3 pounds this week. I know why I'm doing it- the problem is finding the motivation to stop it. We need to stop it. You and I both- we don't need to put the weight back on.

I love you- I hope you figure out what's going on and why you're having these feelings so you can resolve them. If you don't figure it out, it's okay. Just keep trying.

(And I'm with you on not getting to have butter and cheese and all the good stuff. I'm so sick of blocking it all out too- I just quit working out though. And I quit cutting stuff out too....oops! SHIT. )

Love you-

D

Brandy said...

I feel the same way. Thank you for writing this. I get tired of reading the goody goodies having everyday figured out. I want to read and write about the struggles, the I don't know and I don't get it. Will it help us in the end? I don't know, but it's nice knowing that someone else feels like writing about it too. :)